Sunday, June 10, 2012

jam and muffins

I did something today that I NEVER do, I wiped the pot down with a slice of bread and ate it!
Don't judge me ... if you could taste this jam you would do exactly the same!
I used strawberries that I picked up at the farmers market yesterday, and it has made the most delicious strawberry jam EVER. The strawberries were already hulled and R8 (about US$1) for a 500g bag - a bargain!

I used 500g strawberries, 1 cup water, 1.5 cups of sugar, 1 tsp pectin and a few splashes of lemon juice and boiled it on the stove for about 30 minutes.
I haven't made jam in YEARS so it was really fun to make a pot today, I was remembering back to when I was a teenager and I used to pick mulberries from our garden and make mulberry jam. My hands would be stained that dark purple red colour that only mulberries can do.


So while I was in my warm kitchen reminiscing and licking all the jam making tools I decided to whip up some muffins - here you can see my beautiful muffin liners/cups, full of strawberries, I got these in the US at Christmas, they were at Michael's.


And here are today's muffins (24 of each kind)

The brown ones are Walnut & Cranberry ... I saw this combination in one of my Christmas books - its great! The recipe was a low GI one, but I think the walnuts have messed up the GI

The yellow ones are Spinach & Cheese ... Spinach from yesterdays market and the cheese is a mix of feta and cheddar cause I ran out of feta. These probably need a bit more spicing up next time.

No comments: