Tonight I made my version of the "Panda Express" Orange Chicken (the picture is from their website) that we had in the US a few months ago ... this version was VERY good and we will be making it again!
8 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless and chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp ginger & ginger, minced
1 finely chopped chilli pepper
1 cup dried onion flakes
1/2 cup of water
juice of 1 orange
6 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup white vinegar
- In a bowl, mix together the egg, salt, pepper and oil. Mix well. Stir in the chicken pieces.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder. Add the chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a deep fryer to 175°C.
- Add the chicken, small batches at a time, and fry for 4-5 minutes until golden crisp (but avoid overcooking the chicken). When done remove the chicken from the oil with tongs and drain.
- In a pot, add 1 tbsp of oil, ginger and garlic and stir try until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add the chopped chilli and dried onions, stirring for a few seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Thicken with a spoon of flour if necessary
- Add the cooked chicken, stirring until well incorporated.
- Serve with Chinese noodles