We took a trip to the zoo, the tickets were offered on Groupon recently and we took advantage of the discount.
The National Zoological Gardens of South Africa is the largest zoo in the country and the only one with national status. An Aquarium and Reptile Park also form part of the Zoo facility in Pretoria. The Aquarium is the largest inland marine aquarium in the country.
(from the web)
We got to see the elephants eating
Beautiful flamingos - a pretty peachy pink colour
They were pruning a hibiscus plant while we were there, so I asked permission to take a flower, and popped it into Emily's hair
I was very impressed with the restaurant, there are kiosks selling snacks, but the restaurant has a good selection of food. Hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, a buffet, salads, sandwiches.
There are also braai and picnic facilities and you can bring in your own food.
Fun signs leading to the seals
African winter sky
Things to take note of:
- Parking is R20, in addition to the zoo entrance fee
- You can bring your own food into the zoo, picnic and braai facilities are available
- There are restaurants and kiosks throughout the zoo, but watch the opening and closing times.
- Maps were available for free at the exit, so double back and get one before you go into the zoo.
- It is 85-hectares (210-acres)
- Around 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) of pathways are laid out in the zoo, make sure you are wearing comfortable shoes!