Sunday, May 31, 2015

May tag - Nan

I decided (at the last minute) to take part in
 
Here is my finished tag.
 
 
I printed and cut out the cardboard tag, the used spray glue to attach the fabric to the card. I didn't have hessian/burlap so I used the closest thing I could find.
 
 
Since I didn't have any of the required items I decided to print out a photo of my Nan, I had a lot of fun altering the original image on the computer before printing it on photo paper and then colouring it with inks
When pasting it onto the fabric covered tag, I used crackle modge podge which gave a beautiful old crackled look to the photo

 
Nan moved from the UK to South Africa soon after she was married, so I used real stamps from my stamp collection, one from the UK and one from South Africa (called RSA in those days)
Underneath is a calendar from 1917, I found it as a printable when I did a google search. This was the year Nan was born.
I added a metal charm that says "live your dream"
Her and my Grandpa were so brave to just pack up and move to a foreign land, they lived their dream.

 
Nan was very dainty, she loved pretty things, and she had a pink lounge suite after Grandpa died. She loved to knit and crochet (where I get my passion from!) so I added a pink button and a knitting charm onto a safety pin.
I didn't have a loop pin but pulled out my beading tools and unwound a regular pin and then bent it back so it could close again.
I had these silk ribbons in my ribbon box, this is one blue/white ribbon that is held double and tied in a bow
Nan loved the Lord, I thought this passage of scripture fitted her life perfectly, I wrote this in word, printed it and cut it out.

 
 I dyed this ribbon with the same blue ink that I coloured Nans top in, in the photo.
I added some lace to the ribbon - it made it look softer.
You can also see the airmail sticker here, its a real airmail sticker that I coloured with brown water colour paint, to symbolise her travel from UK to SA
I reinforced the punched out hole with a copper eyelet
 
 
I made flowers but they didn't come out to well so I used ready made paper roses, they are small and neater than mine! The leaves were cut from cardstock and painted with acrylic paint.
Nan loved gardening, her gardens were alive and full of colour.


It was Nans birthday on 27 May, she passed away in 2005.
10 years ago.

No comments: